Monday, November 9, 2015

Lessons from a 4- Year Old

Ok, so I have to be honest and admit that my greatest moments in life happened only after having my kid. It's like becoming a mother gave me a clean slate to start a new life ( and boy did I need it!) Each year as my daughter gets older, I find new ways to appreciate her. She's four now and to be honest, what I am learning each day from her, is truly profound. Here are a few lessons I am currently learning from my chocolate drop:

Good Memory Matters
You want to test the memory of a four year old? Promise them candy, cake or ice-cream. Often times I make promises with my daughter that I have no intention of keeping, but I know that it will get her to do what I want for that moment. Wait. Don't get excited just yet; it comes back to haunt you; and most times its in a MAJOR way! To this day I owe her a cupcake, a popsicle, and a trip to the candy store.
Side note: I promise to fulfill these at some point. For real.

Holding Grudges is for the Birds
The best thing I love about my daughter's love for me is that its truly unconditional. We disagree, she cries, we talk and then we are back at it (selfies in the parking lot)! Can you imagine every relationship being this way?! The fact that she can be disciplined for bad behavior and still run to give me a hug and kiss just makes my day!

Food is NOT  that Important
I don't know about you but if I'm not eating every two hours of the day, you can find me somewhere passed out wondering when the next meal will come.  Food is my everything (and can possibly explain my current size).  However, let's face it, food  as often as we adults consume, isn't a requirement. If she can go 5-hours with just water and some fruit, ruling the playground, who am I?

Please and Thank You are the Magic Words
You know how when you get older you sometimes forget your manners aka you are rude. My daughter never allows me to forget the magic words. Like ever! While I get annoyed when she finds the most inappropriate times to correct me (usually in front of others). its so refreshing to have the constant reminder that manners matters and saying kind words are important!

The lessons I am learning and reminded of from my four year old are timely reminders that there is growth in every thing we do. The way she articulates her thoughts are out of this world and I am eager to see what the years ahead would bring.

Here's to lessons from my 4- year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment