Monday, April 10, 2017

Adulting 101: Separation Anxiety

It's been a while since I've posted. In fact, since my post on 30 things to do before 30; life has changed drastically for me; so much so, I am living in an entirely new country! Crazy isn't it. Shortly after my 30th birthday, I received a job offer from a major distributor in Turks & Caicos Islands. Initially, I turned down the offer. At that point, in my mind, there was no amount of money that would convince me to leave my family. After some deliberation, visiting the small island and seeing the possibility of starting new, I accepted the offer.

Fast forward a few months later, here I am, new job, new home, new life; and while its extremely exciting, there are these emotions that I have been feeling and can not seem to shake.The biggest of all being coping with separation from my daughter. See, I made the decision to leave my daughter back home with our family until school is done, so as to not interrupt her learning or pressure her with culture shock during the school year.

I never quite understood the emotional strain of separation anxiety until this week and I thank all you bloggers who've helped me during this unique experience. This is not easy but there are a few things that have kept me sane during the transition:

  1. Knowing this is just short term: school closes for my daughter early June. When you think about it, I only have about 2 months of separation; keeping this in mind; coping has been easier.
  2. This is for the better: honestly, if I had moved with my daughter ( and my dog) all at once, have to figure out schooling and start a new job all by myself ( the joys of single parenting), I think I would have given up. It's simply too much. During this time, I am able to sort out my new routine, confirm schools for her and create a home she can find comfort in once she arrives.
  3. Talk about my feelings: this has been the most difficult. I am not big on sharing my feelings with others. I talk about everything except how I feel. Fortunately, I have a few great friends who I can discuss even the craziest of things with and they have been instrumental in calming my nerves and bringing me back to reality. 

The best thing about all of this is that I have connected with an amazing family who has made the hassle of moving much easier. They are loving and accommodating plus they feed me! Couldn't ask for anything better. So I am here, starting a new and enjoying every new day.

Have you moved to a new country, or done anything life changing without your kids, what things did you do to cope?


Until next time,
Bahama Mama now in TCI!

No comments:

Post a Comment