Thursday, November 30, 2017

3 Big Mistakes Single Parents make (and how to avoid them)

One of my biggest fears after having my daughter was becoming a single mom, a statistic as most would call it. I dreaded the idea of raising a kid on my own and truth be told, I held out to my relationship at that time for as long as I could just to avoid the "single mom life". Much to my surprise, my experience as a single mom has been much more rewarding and enjoyable without the pressure of a failing relationship.

Although a beautiful experience, there are many things I have learnt from single motherhood. Jazzy Moms has provided me with a platform to connect with so many moms who face similar challenges and struggles as I do but it has also exposed me to a lot of negative parenting energy. Three things in particular I have learned to stay away from are:

This is definitely a NO!
  1. Parent Bashing.... is not cool.... in no way, shape or form. 
    Honestly, can I explain how annoyed I get on Father's Day to see women posting pictures of themselves on social media and ranting about how they are mommy and daddy for their kids. WE GET IT! You are a single mother, you struggle, life isn't what you thought it would be; but sis, it's time to move on, brush that junk off and be great. Whether it's social media or in person, if he is not interested, he simply isn't interested. Oh and fathers, yes she is going to get her hair done, her nails done, buy new clothes but no, I guarantee you that the couple dollars you give her to "take care of your child" is not what she is using to be cute. Get over yourselves.

  2. Keep their kids away from their parents
    I respect any parent who raises a child or children on their own. However, keeping your child/children away from their mother/ father is a definite no no. No one wins in that game and newsflash, co-parenting is definitely possible between two mature adults.


    Tweet This: Parental Alienation is abuse!

  3. Taking your frustrations out on the kids 
    Raising children is a difficult commitment and raising children who remind you daily of your ex is even more a feat, but taking out that frustration on your kids is not okay. Remember when you got pregnant, how happy you were, the joy of bringing a child into the world with a partner who couldn't be more perfect? Think of those days when your frustration levels are up to the roof, refocus and relax. 
credit: www.drawcetion.com

As a single parent, I understand mistakes happen, there are great days and then there are days when you simply want to run to the bathroom and hide until they fall asleep, and THAT IS OKAY! Nothing in life comes easy and to be honest, there are so many couples raising kids and are feeling just as burnt out as you. With consistency and patience it gets better (this is me speaking from experience). 

Enjoy parenting, whether its just you or you and a significant other, its one of the most beautiful experiences you can have in this life. 

xoxo,
Single (Happy) Mom 


No comments:

Post a Comment