Monday, September 12, 2016

Hate is UGLY

Today I am writing because I am angry. I am angry with humans. Worst of all I am angry with women to be exact; but not all women. The women who thought it was okay to wish death on another woman because of an unfortunate circumstance.

This past weekend I received the video of the new born baby who was found in a nearby bush abandoned in Golden Isles. Watching the video brought tears to my eyes. Thinking on the situation even further resulted in a complete break down, knowing that someone could be so broken that they leave their new born baby unattended. On top of my sadness for the baby (who was later discovered, taken to the hospital and is now in good health), I am truly disgusted by the comments, statuses and hashtags that people, in particular, MOTHERS, thought were appropriate to type. To think that a human, a woman, a MOTHER can knowingly and unapologetically type something so inhumane disgusts me.


"#Deathbyafterbirth" 

"Someone should kill her" 

"Stupid hoe" 

"They should gang her when they find out who she is" 
Words from Various Facebook Posts

Here's why I am frustrated with all of this; because I am a mother who was once afraid of having a child. Did I think about an abortion? Sure did. Did I think about giving up my daughter for adoption? So many times. I mean, let's be honest, pregnancy, motherhood, parenting although the most fulfilling role a woman can take on, is in fact one of the scariest and without support and education, can be the most difficult experience. Imagine being responsible for an entire human, not knowing how to take care of yourself.

I get it, leaving a new born (or any child for that matter) unattended is ridiculous and to be clear, I am in no way saying that what she did is okay, because its not. However, I am saying that this woman was clearly in a situation where she thought that there were no options for her. Maybe it was a teen pregnancy, product of incest, drug use or even rape, we do not know. All I know is that there is a mother out there hurting with no options and needs help. In the words of a fellow blogger friend, Dawn Demeritte  "I can't judge someone with my judgment because I know there is always a choice and I can always call someone but another person may not know or trust there are options, she may not have access to options and she may not have anyone to turn to. And that's what makes her different."

Support in the life of a mother or a mom to be is important; emotionally, mentally, physically and even financially, support matters! The support I experienced from the day I made the announcement of my daughter's arrival to this day as been out of this world. Although I was extremely nervous about becoming a mother, my support system between my family and friends helped me make it through and is the ONLY reason I am able to celebrate with happiness 5 years of motherhood to date.

Hate is ugly, so is judgement and what has happened within the last 48 hours shows how painful hurt can be; think of the mother of the child, who is now reading your words. How does this help her? What motivates her to turn herself in and reach out for a better life? How many persons are going through similar situations are now left hurting? You are not only what you speak but also what you write, choose love over hate.


Sincerely,

Disgusted 

No comments:

Post a Comment