Thursday, August 10, 2017

All Settled In: Chocolate Drop Arrives

Great news, my chocolate drop is on island! It is her third week here and despite some emotional challenges, she seem to be settling in just fine.

Reunited and it feels so good!
Her initial excitement quickly faded once grammy and papa left to go back to The Bahamas and the idea of them not being a car ride away seemed to hit her hard and to be honest, I get it!  To begin with, I gave our dog Chocolate Chip to a loving family at church for a number of reasons: 1. I really didn't give him the love and attention he needed, 2. I hated coming home to clean up after a dog at 7pm in the night 3. Honestly, it was just time. Chocolate Chip has been gone for about 5 weeks and although I miss him, I did not miss any of the ripped pillows, poop and other joys associated with a dog that's never been trained (despite me pretending like he was). I hadn't explained the adoption to Adaya prior to her arrival, so ofcourse once she got here and realize the dog was gone, all hell broke lose, "Mommy, I don't have any of my family, now I don't even have my dog, why would you do this?!" EPIC FAIL MOM!
Chocolate Chip
Beyond that, her resilience and bravery throughout this transition has been admirable. She handled being in Nassau without me like a true champ and even on the nights when I tried my hardest to hold back tears she always said to me " Mommy don't worry, I soon reach". Seriously, how could you not love this kid?!
Do I look bothered?
So she's here, settled in, has already became a Junior Member of the Turks & Caicos National Trust, started a mini garden (which I may or may not ruin because it's attracting too many insects), became a beach bum and is truly enjoying island life! Have you and your kids experienced a transition? How are they coping? What is the most difficult part of transitioning?

Until Next Time,
One Jazzy Mom and her little munchkin

No comments:

Post a Comment